Is a Walker Best for your Baby?
In this post, I would be discussing If a Walker Best for your Baby? Should you really buy it to help you Baby walk faster? Is it safe? Will it really help in the development of your child?
These were all the questions that I was facing while I was planning to buy a Baby Walker a few months back. I remembered reading somewhere (a while back) that a walker is not good for a Baby. Hence I decided to research further to find out the truth.
This blog post aims at sharing my personal findings and recommending some of the Best Baby Walkers in India.
Table of Contents
Summary – My Recommendation:
So, if you here only for my recommendation then this section will help you save time.
The short answer to the question, whether I recommend buying the traditional walker is a big NO.
Instead, I would urge you to buy this push walker. It might be a bit expensive compared to the regular walkers you find on the market but it will keep you, Baby, safe and will also help in his/her muscle development. This is the product that I bought for my baby and he really enjoyed learning to walk.
However, If you are looking for a budget-friendly option, You may consider this product.
Why Do I Hate Traditional Baby Walkers?
Well, It’s just not me. There has been a lot of research that has taken place which shows the harm that a traditional Baby Walker can cause.
I have listed some of the main ones below:
- When you put your Baby in a Walker, You take away the time the Baby would have spent on the ground. These activities are essential for the Baby to strengthen their muscles & motor skills.
- When kids are learning to get up/walk on their own, they fall often. This teaches them they could get hurt while doing this activity in a mild manner. A walker takes away this risk. The kids start running around the home in walkers without understanding that this could really hurt if they fall or bump against the wall.
- Parents need to constantly supervise while the baby is in the walker. The walker enables the baby to reach places where they normally would not like stairs or things stored at a height (Especially in the kitchen) etc.
- Researches in the UK and US have highlighted the number of injuries that walkers cause on a yearly basis. I could not find such a study done in India.
- Also, most injuries are caused to the neck, head and/or face of the baby. This is due to how the walkers are designed. These injuries can be very serious and cause permanent damage to the kid.
- Research actually shows that kids who use Walkers need more time learning to stand and walk independently. They just depend on the walker to support them to stand erect which inhibits their learning process.
- Walkers also do not strengthen your babies’ leg muscles. Instead, they can actually negatively impact the babies joint and muscle development.
I guess now you as a mother/father/guardian of the baby too can understand the reason why I never recommend using the traditional baby walker to anyone. There are simply too many risks and no potential benefit of using the product.
Refer to the links below if you need more information on the research done.
What Type of Baby Walker to Buy?
I would recommend buying a push walker for your baby. This style of walker does not hold your baby in place.
It only provides support but lets the baby fall. The baby also needs to push the walker physically to walk forward. This helps in developing the right muscles, balance and confidence of the kiddo.
Below you will find some products that I recommend buying.
Best Baby Walkers in India:
Now, let me quickly touch upon the products that I do like.
1. Chicco Baby Step Activity Walker
This is the first product on my list and the one that I recommend buying. I have personally bought this product and has lasted really well. My son enjoys playing with it even when not being used as a walker.
Check the Latest Price – Amazon
- This product has been designed to keep in mind the safety of babies. The two handles provide help the baby learn to stand up.
- The walker plays music when the baby walks along with it. Thereby encouraging the kiddo to walk more often.
- Walker is very colourful and comes with a lot of play options for the baby. Thereby the product not only acts like a walker but also doubles down as a toy. It can keep the baby engaged for a long time.
- The product is equipped with lights, sound, toy block and colours. Thereby making it my preferred choice.
2. Fisher-Price Musical Walker Lion
This product is quite similar to the one above. The brand Fisher-Price is also a well know and global toy company. One can expect a really good quality product from them.
Check the Latest Price – Amazon
- This walker is equipped with 8 different play activities to keep your child engaged for long.
- It is bright, colourful, well build and comes with lights and music.
- As with the walker above, this product too helps your child to stand independently and walk.
- This product is available in different designs as well. So make you check all Fisher-Price listing on Amazon before making your purchase.
3. Shumee 8-in-1 Wooden Push Walker
If you are looking to buy a product that is “Made in India” by an Indian company, then this is the right product for you. This baby walker is made from wood and comes with a lot of engaging musical toys attached to it.
Check More User Reviews – Amazon India
One of my friends bought this for her baby. I went and looked at the product again last week (This was after around 6 to 7 months of heavy usage).
Some of the screws that held the top wood board together had gotten loose. I guess this is the drawback of using a handcrafted, wooden product.
So do keep in mind that this product will not be as sturdy as the plastic ones I showed above. However, using a wooden toy has its own charm.
4. Goyal’s My First Step Baby Walker
If you are looking for a budget option then this is the right product for your needs.
The quality of the product is not comparable with the above products for obvious reasons but it can definitely last for a while if taken care of properly.
At the time of writing this post, this product was priced below Rs. 1000. However, feel free to check the latest price using the link that I provided below.
Check the Latest Price – Amazon India
This brings me to the end of my review of the Best Baby Walkers in India. I hope I was able to help you with your purchase.
Which product did you opt for? Have you used any of the brands mentioned in this blog post? If Yes, How has been your experience with them?
Do share your thoughts in the comments section below. It will surely be helpful for other parents as well.