I was a working mother and was planning to join back the workforce after my maternity leave got over. We had two alternatives, first, to start using a breast pump. The second option was to start feeding my LO with baby food. We choose the first option.
Even for mothers who stay at home, this device helps them take some much deserved time off and have some rest.
Babies need breast milk for the first one to 2 years of their lives, and it is a mother’s job to provide them with everything they need throughout the day. Unfortunately, it is not always possible for some mothers to breastfeed so frequently for different reasons.
However, with breast pumps, a mother can supply all the natural nutrients needed by the baby without being around all the time.
These days, there is an array of breast pumps in the market to choose from and provide breast milk to babies conveniently. I have hence complied this post which will not only help you select the right product for your needs but hopefully will also help you know everything you need about this wonderful product.
Table of Contents
- Top-Rated Breast Pumps in India:
- 1. Trumom Elite Double Breast Pump – Electric
- 2. Philips Avent Breast Pump – Manual
- 3. Trumom Advance – Rechargeable Breast Pump
- 4. Philips Avent Comfort Breast Pump – Single Electric
If you don’t wish to go through the entire article just to buy the right product, then this section is all you need.
I would recommend buying this Trumom dual breast pump.
However, if for some reason you do not wish to go with this brand or in case the product is out of stock, you can also opt for this Philips Avent Breast Pump.
Do remember to compare both these products before you zero in on which one to buy.
Top-Rated Breast Pumps in India:
With so many options to consider, here are some of the top picks. These products have been shortlisted by me on the basis of price, comfort, efficiency and convenience.
1. Trumom Elite Double Breast Pump – Electric
As I said in the summary section, this is one of the best options that you can buy in India. This product is efficient and cost-effective at the same time.
This Trumom double breast pump is actually cheaper compared to the single variant of Philips Avent.
Unfortunately, at the time of writing this review, this product was only available on Amazon and is being sold exclusively on Flipkart.
This is an ideal pump for women who plan to pump milk on a daily and ongoing basis.
Check the Availability & Price in India – Flipkart
- You can use this to pump either single or both breasts. It comes with an adapter which lets you easily select the pumping mode
- Has an option to be used with a plug point since it comes with a rechargeable battery
- Nice design, is comfortable to be used on a daily basis
- Comes with a good digital display that lets you change the settings for the pump easily
2. Philips Avent Breast Pump – Manual
Philips is one of the most reliable electronic brands in the country. Living up to its reputation for creating the most innovative electronics, Philips has come up with different breast pumps to help mothers ease their nursing duties.
This breast pump is safe and has a 150ml capacity with a fully compatible range of bottle sizes that you can purchase.
This product is ideal for women who plan to pump milk only occasionally on a need basis.
- The Avent Manual Breast Pump has a classic design with a clean and clear texture that allows you to see through the bottle while pumping the milk.
- The angle of the suction is in a position that makes it more comfortable and stable to hold.
- The massage cushion has a warm and soft feel.
- The unit also comes with a natural looking nipple design so that the baby can latch on it comfortably.
- It is also compact enough to carry around in a small handbag as it is very light.
- The company has conveniently designed the parts to be compatible with other Avent breast pumps so that you can switch between sizes and comfort for your requirements.
- Natural nipple texture
- Massage cushion to stimulate pumping
- Lightweight and compact design
- Transparent container for better visibility
- Easy to use
- Angled neck for easier access while pumping
- Compatible with other Philips products
- Accessible to Clean and dishwasher safe
- BPA free
- It does not require electricity, so it is applicable anywhere.
- Express, store and feed in one cup
- On initial usage, the breast pump might cause some soreness
- Have to dismantle the whole unit to wash it.
All in all, the Philips Avent Manual Breast Pump works great for lactating mothers who do not need to breast pump too often. The price is a good bargain, and with the anti-BPA material, it is safe to use infants and mothers.
3. Trumom Advance – Rechargeable Breast Pump
Trumom is a trusted FDA approved brand that specializes in products for mothers and infants. This rechargeable battery breast pump is especially for working mothers who need to spend a lot of time away from the baby. It is a product of the US Nureca Inc and comes with an extended warranty of one year.
- It comes with a rechargeable battery that lasts for 2 hours. You can charge it with a portable USB charger included in the package.
- It features a 5 stage expression technology which provides for the massage phase, stimulation and expression phase for a gentle and effortless milk production
- The kit also comes with an impressive 9 stage milk suction so you can choose the intensity and easiness of the suckling pressure according to your comfort.
- This breastfeeding pump is made entirely of BPA free plastic which makes it safe and bacteria-free to keep the breast and the milk from infections.
- The kit comes with detachable body parts that are easy to assemble, light and cleaned quickly.
- To ensure the safety of the bottle and prevent leakage or breakage, the kit uses PPSU gold that gives it a sophisticated finish.
- Chargeable battery anywhere
- Allows quick and discreet milk pumping anywhere
- FDA approved and BPA-free
- Easy to assemble and light enough for portability
- Does not leak and break easily
- Comfortable five stages to choose for expression
- Impressive 9 stage sucking intensity
- Battery needs a frequent recharge
- It is expensive
The Trumom Advance Rechargeable Breastfeeding Pump is genuinely an advanced and high performance oriented breast pump. Although the price is high, it does make up for the numerous comfort levels to choose. Since it runs on battery, it speeds up the expression process, making it an ideal product for mothers who need to be away often.
4. Philips Avent Comfort Breast Pump – Single Electric
The Philips line of Avent Brest Pumps is one of the most trusted and comfortable breast pumps in the market. The Avent line is compatible with other Avent design parts makes it most convenient for mothers to choose the accessories according to their needs.
This product is easy to use, safe and comes with two years warranty.
This is an ideal product who wants to buy a quality product and does not mind spending extra time by milking the only breast at a time. Can be ideal for someone who is planning to pump only once a day and have a lot of free time at hand.
- The double breast pump features comfortable breast flanges that prevent milk from spilling while pumping. It is also easy to assemble and dismantle for cleaning.
- This is one of the most affordable single electric breast pumps for durability and security.
- It features three stages of pumping which makes it easy to adjust the comfort and pressure of the unit. This allows a better flow of milk without creating breast engorgement even when used often.
- It also features a one-touch button that prevents the milk from leaking and will enable you to better pump without letting in much air which could contaminate the milk.
- This product also eliminates the need for frequently recharging batteries. You can set it up anywhere.
- It also comes with a set breast-shaped teat for a natural and gentle latch.
- The unit has an automatic assembly that makes it easier and faster to clean and refill.
- BPA-free materials make up the whole unit which makes it safe for babies and the mother.
- Quicker and faster expression of milk
- Reachable batteries
- Portable and lightweight
- Easy to clean
- Automatic three-stage features
- One-push button settings
- The wire can be wrapped around the base
- Compatible with other Avent feeding bottles
- The maximum suction is soft and may be too gentle for mothers who cannot lactate often.
- Maybe be painful to use in the beginning
The Philips Avent Comfort Single Electric Breast Pump is a budget buy compared to the other dual breast pumps. It aids in safely massaging and allowing a gentle flow of milk into the container with natural latching. It comes with a suction machine, electric plug-in, a milk collection bottle, a machine connector tube, and a sipper.
Buyer’s Guide – How to choose the right Breast Pump?
With the market flooded with different brands and various designs, it becomes difficult to select the best breast pumps because some works better than the others and choices vary among mothers.
There are different choices of breast pumps depending on the availability and the convenience of the mother. They vary from manual pumps to electrical pumps, and you can also choose from a single pump or a double pump. While manual breast pumps are drawn by hand or feet, electrical pumps run on electricity or batteries.
Several brands such as Philips, Trumom, Medele, and R for Rabbit have been manufacturing breast pumps to meet the rising demand among new mothers.
If you are new to motherhood, here is everything you need to know about choosing the best breast pump for you and your baby.
What are Breast Pumps?
Breast pumps are innovative devices for lactating women to extract breast milk and store them for later use. It comes in different shapes, sizes, price, and efficiency so choosing the right one is a substantial investment.
Breast pumps are beneficial for mothers who are over eight weeks into nursing and want to get back to work or take an extended time away from the baby while ensuring that the infant sticks to the feeding routine and get the nutrition needed.
Types of Pumps
Electric Breast Pumps
Premium single/dual electrical or battery operated breast pumps are most efficient as they can simultaneously fill the container by mimicking the sucking of a baby but much faster. These models are convenient for working mothers when they need to refill them quickly. A double breast pump simultaneously draws milk from both breasts, takes less time and is more suited for frequent use.
Electric breast pumps need to utilize half the amount of time on extracting (as compared to manual pumps) and they also deliver about 20% more milk which makes it a convenient choice for busy mothers.
The drawback of electric breast pumps is that they are expensive and hard to find. They consume a lot of power and may cause breast engorgement when used too frequently.
Manual Breast Pumps
A manual breast pump is convenient for occasionally extracting milk as it can remove milk only from one breast at a time, so it takes longer. They are also very hard to work with when you need to use them often because you have to keep pumping manually to create a vacuum while expelling milk.
It gets very difficult to use them after some time as your hands start to pain.
For stay-at-home moms who do not require a large amount of store milk, a single electric or battery-operated pump would suffice. Even manual models that are trigger-operated or syringe-operated pumps are efficient when there are no time constraints.
How to choose the right breast pump for you
Pick an electronic double breast pump if you need to extract every feed
Sometimes medical conditions prevent the baby from being able to latch and suck on breast milk which might be due to individual needs, premature-born, illness or separation from the mother. Or if you are a mother who cannot breastfeed directly, the double electric breast pumps are your best option.
Battery charged Double Breast Pump if you can’t initiate proper milk supply
In the initial stages of nursing, it is common for mothers to have problems lactating due to improper flow of breast milk. Breastfeeding can be eased by consulting a doctor regarding your health and also with the help of a hospital-grade double breast pump to initiate the flow of breast milk.
Manual Breast Pump For occasional feeding
If you are already breastfeeding the baby, but you need time off so that your partner or a care-taker replace you while you are away, a manual breast-pump can do the job. It is quiet, leisurely and works even if you can’t find an electrical socket.
Possible side-effects of Breast pumps
- The nutrients may get depleted in the process of storing breast milk for a certain amount of time whereas, by direct feeding, the baby gets all the nutrients instantly.
- The wrong breast pump can sometimes cause breast and nipple tissue damage when it not set in the right settings
- It can cause soreness of the nipples if the baby is confused about the suckling pressure between the real nipples and the feeding bottle.
- Sometimes when mothers use the breast pump too often or excessively, it can cause painful engorgement which makes the breasts swell and produce excessive milk.
- Bottle feeding replaces the intimacy between a mother and the baby
- Breast pumps and feeding bottles need sterilization before use. Sometimes this becomes a problem when a mother is not able to find privacy to pump the breast milk.
- Risks of contamination of the milk and the mother’s nipples if the breast pump is unsterilized properly.
I have already covered some of the best brands that provide breast pumps in India above. However, if you want to consider some more brands, you have a look at the comprehensive list below.
- Philips Avent
- R for Rabbit
I have also written a sperate blog post detailing out each of these brands and their top models. You can click on the link above (Title) to read the same.
There are varieties of designs by different brands to meet the unique requirements of different mothers. It is crucial for a mother to choose the right breast pump from a trusted brand to prevent many health risks.
So whichever you prefer, always ensure that you nurture with care and take precautions to preserve the nutrients of the milk and the health of the mother and child.
I hope this article about the Best Breast Pumps in India, helped you select the right product for your needs. If you still have some doubts, you can leave a comment below. I will surely try and help you resolve your issue to the best of my abilities.